AAPT Update 2003 Number 12

From: AAPT <aapt-memb@aapt.org>
Date: Thu Dec 11, 2003 4:30:45 PM US/Eastern
To: "danmacisaac@mac.com" <danmacisaac@mac.com>
Subject: AAPT Update 2003 Number 12

AAPT Update 2003 Number 12

This news summary is a service to our members and is from the Executive
Office of the American Association of Physics Teachers, College Park,
Maryland.

LEADING PHYSICISTS AND AUTHORS TO SPEAK AT MIAMI BEACH MEETING

If you attend the 128th AAPT National Meeting January 24-28 in Miami
Beach, FL, you will see and hear a superb array of speakers talking
about
forefront areas in physics.

Plenary Speakers, Institutions, Speech Titles:
Seth J. Putterman, UCLA, "Sonoluminescence: The Star in the Jar"
Maya Tolstoy, Columbia University, Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory,
"Listening to the Ocean"
Jayanth R. Banavar, Penn State University, "Geometry and Physics of
Proteins"

Ceremonial Speakers, Institutions, Speech Titles:
Robert B. Clark, Brigham Young University, "Some Lessons Learned"
Lene Vestergaard Hau, Harvard University, "Light at Bicycle Speed - and
Slower Yet!"
Lawrence M. Krauss, Case Western Reserve University, "A State of the
Universe Address"

Featured speakers' photos, bios, and abstracts are available at
http://www.aapt.org/Events/128th/speakers.cfm .

AOL Link: <a
href="http://www.aapt.org/Events/128th/speakers.cfm"Keynote Speakers at
Miami Meeting</a>

JANUARY 2 - PRE-REGISTRATION DEADLINE FOR MIAMI BEACH MEETING

If you haven't pre-registered for the Meeting, there is still time. The
advanced pre-registration deadline for the 128th AAPT National Meeting
is
January 2. No pre-registration applications will be accepted after that
date. To pre-register or to get more information go to our website at
http://www.aapt.org/Events/128th/index.cfm .

AOL Link: <a href="http://www.aapt.org/Events/128th/index.cfm";>Miami
Beach Meeting Registration Deadline</a>

JANUARY 2 - CONTRIBUTED PAPERS & POSTERS DEADLINE FOR MIAMI BEACH
MEETING

You can still submit post-deadline contributed and poster abstracts up
until January 2 for the Winter Meeting in Miami Beach, FL. Submit
electronically through the web at
http://www.aapt.org/Events/abstractForm.cfm .

AOL Link: <a href="http://www.aapt.org/Events/abstractForm.cfm";>Paper &
Poster Abstract Deadline</a>

JANUARY 22 - DEADLINE FOR 2004 U.S. PHYSICS TEAM AAPLICATION

The 2004 U.S. Physics Training Camp is scheduled for May 21 - 31, 2004,
in
the Physics Department at the University of Maryland, College Park, MD.
The U.S. Physics Team will be competing at the 35th International
Physics
Olympiad Competition in Pohang and Gyeongju, South Korea, July 15 - 23,
2004. For more information on the program go to
http://www.aapt.org/physteam.

AOL Link: <a href="http://www.aapt.org/physteam";>U.S. Physics Team </a>

RECEIVE $10.00 COUPON WHEN YOU PLACE AN ORDER FROM THE ONLINE STORE

Make a $50 purchase of any AAPT product from our Online Store and
receive
a $10 coupon to use on your next purchase of AAPT products. Go to
http://www.aapt.org/Store/byCategory.cfm,
browse our online catalog and place your order.

AOL Link: <a href="http://www.aapt.org/Store/byCategory.cfm";> $10.00
Coupon for AAPT Products </a>

The AAPT Updates are archived on the AAPT web site at
http://www.aapt.org/aboutaapt/updates/

AOL Link: <a href="http://www.aapt.org/aboutaapt/updates/";>AAPT Update
Archives</a>

The American Association of Physics Teachers
One Physics Ellipse
College Park, MD 20740-3845

E-mail: aapt-exec@aapt.org

http://www.aapt.org/

AOL Link: <a href="http://www.aapt.org";>AAPT Homepage</a>

http://psrc.aapt.org/

AOL Link: <a href=" http://psrc.aapt.org/";>PSRC </a>

---

Dan MacIsaac, Assistant Professor of Physics, SUNY-Buffalo State College
222SCIE BSC, 1300 Elmwood Ave , Buffalo NY 14222 USA 716-878-3802
<macisadl@buffalostate.edu> <http://PhysicsEd.BuffaloState.edu>