Tides and Wristwatches

At 03:36 PM 12/13/2003, Jim Green, you wrote:
....why would the turbine blade be
stationary?...
Jim Green

I thought of you this morning, Jim. I was attempting to answer
a newsgroup question about setting a gift watch appropriately,
before presenting it. The instructions required one to set the
Mean Establishment for a particular place - in this case,
Margate, near Atlantic City.

The Establishment is the time delay between the lunar meridional
transit and the next high tide.
This is a rough and ready tidal predictor, if a time piece has a lunar
wheel which rotates twice in 24 hours and fifty minutes.

This nods to the major influence of the Moon on tides.
Bowditch acknowledges the numerous other effects needed for a
closer prediction of tidal times and heights: lunar phase, distance,
solar angle etc., etc.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK Eureka!