Re: impulse/momentum

Actually, I was just indulging in a little pun over breakfast coffee...

...but in my experience, far from faltering, the juvenile mind thoroughly
enjoys following through the logic that leads to the conclusion that "the
earth moves" when I jump into the air. And this is not an article of faith.
It's the logical exploration of a model. In this case the model requires a
perfectly rigid earth, so it's not realistic, but physics is full of such
creatures and it's often useful to talk about them. Yesterday someone asked
in class what happens to conservation of momentum when you have a pendulum
swinging. I find it easier to consider first a rigid earth wobbling back
and forth with the pendulum. The pedagogical point is that there must be at
least two bodies interacting before there can be a pendulum. Realistic
modelling of the earth can be added as a footnote.

Mark

PS looking back over the thread, I see Justin Parke asks "Any suggestions
on a problem that requires a student to understand/apply impulse and
momentum considerations to "continuous" systems like ropes, water, etc?"

I like to introduce this kind of calculation with the "cement factory
problem": A skip drops sand onto a conveyor belt, at a steady rate. The
conveyor belt maintains a steady speed. They find the force needed to keep
it going. The further discussion of where the energy dissipation occurs,
and the role of friction in the process is also interesting.