Re: impulse/momentum

Newton kindles the juvenile imagination when he relates the tenacious
symphony of the spheres.
But when this same mass in consideration is quasi-infinite in the context,
that looks more like an article of faith provided by an educator:
the tender wheels of the student's traction falter at the concept,
do they not?
Better to ask the young to imagine what they can imagine.

A water jet impinging upon a fixed pelton wheel does not in
fact cause some contra-rotation of the Earth mass - no indeed.
The force is reacted much, MUCH closer to home.
So teachers who talk of the Earth moving, are in the position of
discussing Angels Dancing Upon Pin Heads - and I disapprove
the dishonesty of it.

Brian W

At 03:04 AM 12/13/2003, Mark Sylvester, you wrote:
[ Brian Whatcott ]
>I expect I am missing something here.
>If I want to test a pelton cup by fixing it in a lab sink,
>I can see the water flow reversing, and I can see that the
>cup remains stationary, so if one wants to satisfy an equation
>by considering that the Earth mass rotates in reaction, I suppose
>that's OK. But isn't it a bit forced?

"forced" by Newton III?

Mark

Mark Sylvester