Re: impulse/momentum

At 01:23 AM 12/12/2003, you wrote:
>This one is from Halliday Resnick and Walker, problem 10.17, which I
>quote: "A stream of water impinges on a stationary 'dished' turbine
>blade. The speed of the water is v, both before and after it strikes the
>curved surface of the blade, and the mass of water striking the blade per
>unit time is constant at the value u.

"speed of the water is v, both before and after" Wow. Very strange water.

Jim Green

Jim notwithstanding, if we accept speed as a scalar and velocity as a vector,
which (despite list misgivings) is often allowed to take negative values in
one dimension, then specifying an eastward speed 'x' as a velocity of x1
and a westward speed of 'x' as a velocity of -x1 leads to a change of velocity
given by the difference of the velocities, or x - -x = 2x

This does not seem to be specially controversial.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK Eureka!