Re: Rewarding occupations

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 18:44:07 -0500 Sheron Snyder <snyders@VOYAGER.NET>
writes:
Herb

Is the attitude displayed in the lines you cited part of the cause
for those teachers leaving?

I fail to see any correlation between the two.
Please explain how the lines I quoted would be a cause for teachers to
leave the profession.

Our internal bickering and complaining does little or nothing to
build up our profession.

I am totally unaware of any significant "internal bickering and
complaining" that may be taking place at the present time. Here,
in New York City and possibly other areas of the country many teachers
are being discouraged by ccomparatively low salaries and difficult
students who have little or no ambition to succeed in school.

Please help the profession by not distributing this old saw, our
younger teachers deserve better than we got, so we should be supporting

them.

Your statement, above, implies that we did not get sufficient rewards
for our teaching careers. That is not true at all.
In my last communication, reproduced below, I clearly implied
that teaching is a very rewarding occupation. Those who are
unable to succeed at it are advised to choose a "less rewarding
occupation". By all means..... teaching is a VERY rewarding
occupation and our younger teachers certainly deserve the
conditions that we had in our day. But these conditions no longer exist!

Herb Gottlieb from New York City
(Where the younger teachers in our inner city schools
are being handicapped with thousands of students who
have little or no respect for formal learning in our schools.)

Sheron Snyder

Taught before college, taught after college, taught for pay at high
school
31+ yr, teach for pay at Comical 20 yr