Re: but does the pilot hear the sonic boom?

So you can hear the sound made by the plane's skin passing through the air, whether the plane is above or below Mach 1. My memory of flying supersonic (admittedly decades ago) is that the quality of sound heard inside the plane doesn't change when passing through the speed of sound. People who've flown in the SST report the same observation.
skip

-----Original Message-----
From: Bernard Cleyet [mailto:anngeorg@PACBELL.NET]
Sent: Monday, December 01, 2003 13:27
To: PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu
Subject: Re: but does the pilot hear the sonic boom?

How so?

Is not the "bow" wave created at the bow * in front of the passenjares?
Therefore, Not quite:

http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/feb98/886430559.Ph.r.html

Check out the links, also.

* leading edge of wave. All of the plane contributes to the acoustical
disturbance.

Can sound created ahead of the 'plane be heard, e.g. another plane's bow
wave? (Didn't find a ref. for this.)

bc

Kilmer, Skip wrote:

No. In a well-designed supersonic craft the only way you know you're =
going faster that (outside) sound is to watch the Mach meter.
skip