Re: lab final exam...

Hi, Jeffrey. The friction LAB question on friction is done in AP 'C'. These
are 2nd year kids, Seniors, and have previously used the same LAB set-up 4
or 5 times for various concepts over the last two years with me. My AP has
double periods - 2x40 minutes. The only class time I take for testing is for
these LAB-based questions. All the regular testing the kids do online or
take-home on their own time.

For my 11th grade Honors kids, I do the same thing, but the question simply
is "What is the acceleration of the system if allowed to move?" To complete
this, they do need the coefficient stated in the question. Then a follow-up
would be "How much energy got sucked up due to friction?" This allows them
to compare ideal to practical.

LAB questions can be adapted for any level, I think. Some of my LAB exam
questions, as I stated earlier, are just set-ups and the kids have to find a
missing quantity, not necessarily by 'doing' anything. Then, for AP, they
have to apply a LAB they've already done to find something new or I through
in a cute little twist. I like to have the AP kids do the Ohm's Law or
Kirchoff's LAB using faulty equipment then explain why their results aren't
what the ideal predicted. (Do this by crossing wires in a resistor box so
all their R's are wrong...)

For general length of LAB exams: AP usually takes a full 80 minute period
for 2 or 3 questions, Honors will generally take less than one 40 minute
period for 2 questions.

Daryl L. Taylor, Fizzix Guy
PAEMST '96
Internet Educator of the Year '03
Williamstown HS & Engineering Academy, Rowan University NJ
www.DarylScience.com <http://www.DarylScience.com>
609.330.9571

This email prepared and transmitted using 100% recycled electrons!