introductory physics course is misnamed

And many H.S. physics teachers blame any number of earlier courses.

Trust me - kids come with preconceived notions that are totally
independent of any formal course of instruction. Sure, there IS some
'wrong' instruction, but the biggest hurdle to our successful
presentation of the material is addressing misconception from MANY
sources. Teachers/instructors are giving too much credit to our
educational system if we think that curriculum/pedagogy is that
effective.

Avoiding the word 'acceleration' for as long as possible is the
technique that _*I*_ find to be useful. Axiomatic/theoretic
presentations do not address ingrained misconceptions.

At 7:46 PM -0800 11/23/03, Ludwik Kowalski wrote:

On Sunday, Nov 23, 2003, at 15:31 US/Pacific, Leigh Palmer wrote:

> . . . The since
it is not a first course. Students in this course come
from diverse high school physics courses. . . .

I wish this was also typical for the US; for most
of my students the first physics course is in the
university, not in high school.

britton@ncssm.edu you have forgotten everything
(919) 416-2762 Albert Einstein, 1936