Re: steering

OOPS, I SEE WHERE I WAS WRONG. BOB PROBABLY HAD
IN MIND A WHEEL WHOSE SPEED AT THE CIRCUMFERENCE
WERE THE SAME AS THE LANDING SPEED.

On Friday, Nov 21, 2003, at 16:01 US/Pacific, Ludwik Kowalski wrote:

In a later message Bob described the "landing wheel"
situation. One spinning wheel lands being oriented along
the direction of the velocity of C and another landing
being oriented at a 45 degrees angle. I think that this
is different from a situation in which the wheel has already
been rolling (along a given straight line, without being
powered) when its orientation was changed. Touching a
stationary floor (by a spinning wheel) is like "powering;"
the wheel pushes the floor backward and can gain speed.