----- Original Message -----
From: "John Mallinckrodt" <ajm@CSUPOMONA.EDU>

BUT......

The important feature here is when the momentum changes. How do you know
when the momentum changes? Answer--if the object speeds up, slows down,
or
changes direction.

I would say, "If the velocity of the object changes."
^^^^^^^

Now if using acceleration, one asks: "How do you know if the object is
accelerating?" Answer--if the object speeds up, slows down, or changes
direction.

I would say, "If the velocity of the object is changing."

The difference may appear minor, but I believe its pedagogical effect
is not at all subtle.