Re: The old loop-de-loop

1) On Sunday, Nov 16, 2003, John Mallinckrodt wrote:

It seems to me that a few messages back in this thread,
Bob Sciamanda supplied perhaps the best phrased answer
to what I take as your fundamental concern. To paraphrase Bob:

In its simple attempt to obey Newton's first and second laws, the
object is continually colliding with the track. As a result, the
track and the object deform (as is ALWAYS the case when two
objects come into "contact") and the deformation is responsible
(as it ALWAYS is) for the resulting "contact interaction."

I also appreciated that message. The phrase "continually
colliding" is highly useful and easy to accept. It does not
call for a radical departure from what is in our textbooks.