Re: The old centrifugal force

At 05:21 PM 11/15/2003, Ludwik, you wrote:
///
construct a free-body force diagram for an object
sliding counter-clock-wise along a looping track,
for example in the two o'clock location. The first
arrow, representing the force m*g, and pointing
down has already been drawn. What other
arrows must be drawn and how should they be
explain them to students?

1) The diagram MUST SHOW ALL FORCES ACTING
ON THE SLIDING OBJECT.

Preferring a diagram for the body on the bottom of
a vertical loop, I draw mg downwards with length
x and I draw a normal reaction in the opposite
direction with length 2x. (at least)
This diagram SHOWS ALL FORCES ACTING
ON THE SLIDING OBJECT.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK Eureka!