Re: Why is it "static friction?"

At 11:09 PM 11/13/2003, you wrote:
For any given v and r (up to a limit) it is an
equality. The value of mu changes when
v2/r becomes different. The, mu_s we find
in tables is the largest possible mu before
sliding begins. You are correct, mu_s*m*g
must be larger than m*v^2/r to avoid sliding.
Ludwik Kowalski

This usage is, I believe, somewhat idiosyncratic.
Certainly the friction model is one of the more
simplified in the pantheon. Mu is usually
given as a fixed characteristic of two materials
in contact,for the non slip, and the slipping
conditions. Certainly, there may be changes
with applied force - with mu either increasing, or
decreasing, in fact.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK Eureka!