Re: The Electron

Hi all-
Interesting answers that show that the question is nebulous.
Hugh answers in terms of the theoretical concept "electron", so he
can divide his concepts into "bare" and "dressed". I think he is ansering
the question, "How do we understand the 'electron' concept in quantum
field theory?"
Jerry and Larry answer the question, "What properties of 'the
electron' have been measured, and what are the values'?"
The flavor of the details of the question suggest that something
else is being asked for, as though the words "inner structure", "charge
distribution", etc. had meaning in this context. My sense is that Josh is
asking for a classical picture that he can draw on a piece of paper.
The quantum world is not like that. We make measurements, and we
can sometimes make semi-classical pictures that describe the measurements
(this approach works amazingly well with nuclei). But an early lesson of
quantum mechanics is that there are some questions that just make no sense
even though they parse perfectly. The most notable example, of course, is
the question in the two-slit experiment, which slit did the photon (or
electron - this has now been demonstrated) pass through when it
contributed to the interference pattern.
Having said that, I suggest that Josh forget everything that I
have written and turn to the words of someone who had a really profound
grasp of these matters: Feynman's "QED".
Anyhow, the short answer is that the questions need to be better
defined, and the redefinitions involve a radical change in world view that
must be confronted by everyone who seeks to understand the quantum
universe.