Re: Newton's second law

Conceptually I understand quite clearly the difference between sand with no initial horizontal component of velocity falling *into* a rolling train car and sand leaking *out* of a train car. My question has to do with my apparent misunderstanding of the statement of NII and what "vdm/dt" means.

John Mallinckrodt has provided me with the most satisfying answer so far, but I welcome further input.

Basically, I do not want to tell my students something like, "this term is equal to zero just because you know it must be." This perpetuates the idea of physics as a mysterious topic rather than a straightforward one.