From: "SSHS KPHOX" <kphox@CHERRYCREEKSCHOOLS.ORG>
To: <PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu>
Sent: Thursday, November 06, 2003 2:02 PM
Subject: Re: Newton's second law

Forum for Physics Educators <PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu> writes:
Newton' second law:

F = dp/dt= mdv/dt + vdm/dt

In the third term, what is v?

My read would be that it is the velocity of the mass at some moment. F is
a function of time. In most introductory work we ignore the dm/dt as = 0.
Thus it does not matter what v is.

I suspect this is a useful term in rockets and jet planes where thrust
comes from mass being expelled at a specific velocity and at a specified
rate.

Ken Fox