Re: Thomas Young's experiment

Are you all aware of the article in November 2003 issue of American Journal
of Physics, page 1196, Huygen's principle and Young's experiment in the
propagation of light beams?

At 06:15 PM 11/1/2003, you wrote:
On Saturday, Nov 1, 2003, at 12:32 Bernard Cleyet wrote:

> try replacing the card with a strip whose
> depth is the same as its width.

I am not performing an experiment. Why would the
length of the card slip (which divides a beam from
a pinhole into two separate parts) have to play a
role? I suppose the slip card was black in order to
minimize stray light. What is wrong with thinking that
the card should act as if it were a wire?

Unfortunately, I was not able to figure out what
fraction of the beam area was actually covered by
the card. There were no illustrations in Young's
paper. To act as a single slit each uncovered area
was probably very narrow. Thus the slip card
shadow was probably at least 90% of the area of
the diverging beam.

In a single-wire experiment the situation is usually
opposite; the area of the wire is a small part of the
beam area. I can not prove it but I suspect that in
going from one extreme to another one must be able
to observe a transition from "peaks of equal widths"
to a typical diffraction pattern -- a "central strong
peak about twice as wide as other (weaker) peaks."
That may be an experiment worth performing.
Ludwik Kowalski