Re: College Credit for AP Physics

-----Original Message-----
=46rom: SSHS KPHOX [mailto:kphox@CHERRYCREEKSCHOOLS.ORG]
Sent: Thursday, October 30, 2003 12:49 PM

I cannot understand why AP-B would earn credit for the Calc based
college course. Then what happens in the next level if they take it?=
Are
they truly prepared?

The college here gives course credit for a 4 or 5 on the AP exams.
It's up to the deparment as to whether the credit will go towards our
intro. course.

We've ended up devising a "evaluation exam" for any student who
might wish to opt out of the intro. sequence. It gives us a read on the
student's background. Usually, we have found that most students with AP
crdit still have enough gaps that doing the intro. course is worthwhile.
The major exceptions have been foreign students with "A" level physics,
and any student from Keene High School in Keene, NH :) I just mentioned
that because we've had several students from there and their preparation
has been amazing; able to jump straight into the sophomore level with no
problems.

Mike Monce
Connecticut College