Re: Sometimes physics is fun

How about a change of state rocket. e.g. pressurized liquid N2. or
cappuccino steamer.

BTW a CO2 blast will disable a following car just as well as a rocket.

J. Green wrote:

Can these things be "released" as part of the "start your engines". If
so, look into the water rocket idea. Accelerations are huge and will
easily outperform a chemical rocket over that sort of distance.
Flourescent light tube covers make good pressure vessels and can be
pressurized to quite high levels. Water makes a much better propellant
than CO2; it can be accelerated to very high speeds by large pressure
differentials and carries a lot of momentum.

Yes, we can "release" as part of the "start your engines". I do like the
water rocket idea except I have to compete with three other cars in the same
heat. Assuming this setup has the best acceleration out of the other cars,
that means that the water spraying back would hit cars on the adjacent
tracks. This seems to be very difficult to overcome. The co2 cartridge
seems to be a very good solution, cheap, and easy to implement. Model
rocket motors have drawbacks all their own (I don't really want the
possibility of being responsible for setting things on fire). My worst case
scenario with a co2 car: Immediately after ignition, it jumps the track and
veers off hitting an inattentive spectator 3 inches below his belt buckle.
I can live with that.