Re: Name that force

The Phrase 'rolling with frictional losses' applies to the wheel
bearing. The friction between the wheel and the rail is static friction
- no displacement - no work - no loss in an ideal wheel. The wheel
definitely rotates because of the static friction.

( I know it's actually more complicated than this, but I think my
remarks are first order correct and are essentially the same as Ken
Fox's.)

Bob at PC

SSHS KPHOX wrote:

Forum for Physics Educators <PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu> writes:
How do wheels roll on a friction free surface? What force makes them
roll?

It would be better phrased "the train is rolling without frictional
losses", which is also a simplifying myth.

You are right, of course; no friction, no rotation of the wheels.

Ken Fox