Re: Sometimes physics is fun

How big are these things?

I like fire extinguishers (the acid - bicarb. and water may have more
"oomph" than a CO2) or SCUBA tanks.

I'm talking about a car the size of a traditional pinewood derby car.
Traditional specifications:
Width: 2 3/4 inches
Length: 7 inches
Weight: 5 ounces maximum
Bottom clearance to track: 3/8 inch

These are all for the traditional cars though, and we are not under such
constraints, although it does have to fit on a traditional pinewood derby
track, an example of which can be seen at:
http://www.besttrack.com/

I've seen some sites that sell co2 powered cars, but I can't figure out how
to get the thing started. When the gate drops, we are allowed to "start
your motor" without pushing the car. I have also cleared a "contained
flame", but I'm under the impression that a co2 cartridge will give me more
bang in 30ft than a model rocket motor will (which are also made for more
than a 30ft run)

Also, thanks for the tips on the cartridge freezing. I'll have to modify my
testing plans.

Thanks all for your suggestions and questions.

Josh