Re: What's "Developmentally Appropriate"?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Brian Whatcott" <betwys1@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
To: <PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu>
Sent: Saturday, October 11, 2003 3:35 PM
Subject: Re: What's "Developmentally Appropriate"?

I speculate that "success" in teaching deep ideas of calculus by additive
examples, means that a six year old would be able to
identify a situation where a small increase in one variable
is associated with a small change in a matched variable
in a named ratio, and that the sum of the values of a matched variable
can be counted between boundaries specified in a given variable that
is associated with the counted variable.

Somehow, in my many semesters of taking calculus, I missed this remarkably
insightful way of summarizing calculus. Or then again, maybe this is just a
anti-deconstructionist prank by Sokolov!!!???

Bob at PC
Where in Providence we teach integral calculus with 100% success while
students are still in the womb.