Re: What's "Developmentally Appropriate"?

On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 12:49:00 -0500 Jack Uretsky <jlu@HEP.ANL.GOV> writes:
On Fri, 10 Oct 2003, Richard Hake wrote:
-----------------------------------------snip__________________________

... For example, I have observed a very talented 1st grade teacher
- Julia Nishijima - teach the deep ideas of the differential and
integral calculus to her 6 year olds with 100% success.

Wow! Does anyone know what "success" meansin this context?

Anyone with a fair knowledge of integral calculus can easily "teach" it
to five or six year olds with 100% success. Whether or not such young
children can "learn" it is another story.

Herb Gottlieb from New York City
(Where we teach integral calculus to our four year old children with
success)