Re: Setting up problems

Rick T wrote in part:

I can provide the equation--say that for centripetal
acceleration or for the
Gravitational force and ask how the acceleration or the force
changes if we
double the distance (or radius). To MANY, MANY students, this is like
asking them to translate Aristotle from the original Greek.

Can we, should we, be teaching basic Algebra in our physics
course? Or
maybe it's not the Algebra, just a lack of critical thinking
skills. ??

I don't see how you can avoid teaching basic algebra to such students in
your physics class. You inevitably are doing it.

I suppose your rhetorical question is more along the lines of should we
formally devote lectures to basic algebra topics.

Joel