Re: Setting up problems

This is exactly the sort of situation I was think of when I last wrote.
The student's expectations are different than yours and they do not
understand the difference. In the worst case they could go to someone
and complain that you are being unfair. Hopefully that won't happen.

Its probably a little late for this particular topic since you will be
moving on to others, but both the ALPS workbook, and the McDermott
Tutorials in Physics have nice material on dealing with part of this
issue. The latter is, in my mind, more sophisticated than the latter.

The issue of not knowing the mass comes, I think, form not creating a
culture of solving the problem by algebra first before putting in the
numerical values. This is always an uphill battle and depends on the
symbolic math ability of your students.

joe

On Thu, 9 Oct 2003, David T. Marx