Re: vector directions

This is an interesting discussion.

JOEL_RAUBER@SDSTATE.EDU writes:

However, I tell my students I'll accept any of the angles mentioned
above if they tell me unambigously how they are measuring
the angles
(relative to what and what they are calling positive vs. negative
angles) and if their answer matches their fiducial statements.

to which Justin Parke responded:

I tell my students the same thing but many of them need an
absolute recipe as they are not yet comfortable with the
mathematics involved.

I don't want my algebra-based college-level students to do
vector analysis (or anything) according to an absolute recipe,
even if it means they get the right answer. Rather, I want
them to see that angles are relative and that our choice of 0
(and positive) is arbitrary except for the local conventions.
Indeed, some problems are easier if 0 is off at an angle
(e.g., if we already know the direction of the acceleration
and we want to find the net force, we might as well choose
0 as the direction of the acceleration).

Consequently, this semester I tried something new. I first
explored the relative nature of angles. For every problem, I
have them choose their own 0 and 90 degree directions. Once
they have chosen their 0 and 90 degree directions, they use
sines and cosines to get the 0 and 90 degree components (which
we call x and y by convention) and to get the direction from the
components, they use inverse cosine.

It all seemed to work real well except for one little problem:
many of my students couldn't calculate the angles from any
arbitrary direction. For example, I gave them the following
problem in class the other day:

Suppose we are given a direction of 40 degrees counter-clockwise
from East (where North would be 90 degrees counter-clockwise from
East). Which of the following are equivalent to this direction?

A. 140 degrees clockwise from West
B. 50 degrees clockwise from North
C. 130 degrees counter-clockwise from South
D. All of the above
E. None of the above

Less than half chose D (I know the numbers because we use CPS
remotes in class). This is after using vectors for at least a
week.

It took some peer teaching before most of the students understood
how to measure angles from various reference directions.

The problem was that I assumed students could do this.
I was wrong. No wonder they do better with an absolute
recipe.

Next time I'll know to explore this with the
students before talking about vectors and components.

Robert Cohen; 570-422-3428; www.esu.edu/~bbq
East Stroudsburg University; E. Stroudsburg, PA 18301