Re: Nutation

At 6:13 PM -0600 9/21/03, Jim Green wrote:

>If you have an explanation that does NOT include the nasty 'tidal
bulge' - please share it with the rest of us.

I do not have an explanation -- That is why I asked the questions.

BTW there is no tidal bulge.

And therein lies the rub.

Without the tidal bulge - there is no torque exerted by the
divergence of the sun's gravitational field and therefore no
precession of the earth's axis.

So, what will it be?

Believe in the precession whose source is not acceptable
or to accept both the precession AND its explanation.

Maybe a tidal bulge of the entire earth is more acceptable than a
bulge just of the oceans??

(there ain't no other explanation that _*I*_ have gotten wind of.)
--
I never teach my pupils; I only attempt to provide the conditions in
which they can learn.