Re: Private Universe and the Seasons

It does appear the book* is for teachers. Therefore, the "job" is to
ensure teachers have the background to know the fig., inter alia, is
only schematic. The student need never learn the "misinfo." "we" have
been discussing. It's unfortunate pre-college teachers are so
overworked they can't, at least, lurk this and other correctional sources.
<http://hea-www.harvard.edu/ECT/the_book/Chap2/Chapter2.html#oots>

* http://hea-www.harvard.edu/ECT/the_book/Chap2/Chapter2.html#oots

bc

Larry Woolf wrote:

Just to clarify some issues that Richard Hake attributed to me, my actual
comments are shown below in quotes:

Note that I also mention the need to clarify what is meant by a ray. Also,
I never stated that the rays from the sun were directed radially outward.
The model that shows the sun's rays being directed radially outward is of
course not true -every point on the sun's surface effectively emits light in
all outward directions - as do all extended sources.

"In addition, few texts address any of the following issues:
1. why are the sun's rays parallel at the earth
2. how do the sun's rays look when they leave the sun

cut