Re: Private Universe and the Seasons

perhaps, but it's a misconception that I've encountered among students of
diverse origins. It's actually a "higher class misconception" than the one
that proposes the elliptical orbit as the cause of the seasons, since it
does at least take both hemispheres into consideration!

Mark

At 15:59 19/09/03 -0400, Clarence Bennett wrote:
It seems to me that this,

|At 13:24 +0200 9/19/03, Mark Sylvester wrote:
>
>One misconception that I've come across, not mentioned in the post I'm
>replying to, is that the hemisphere tilted away from the sun is in winter
>because it's further from the sun, and likewise the summer side is in
>summer because being tilted towards the sun it's closer to it.

should be interpreted by one from S. Africa, much differently than by
most of us Northerners.
--

Clarence Bennett
Oakland University Physics