Re: Kinematics - a vs. t graphs

L., have you tried asking John G? If I had the time I'd try looking
at the piezo plate with an o'scope. I suspect the only limit* on the
analog side is the pulse shape (rise time), also the min. range limit is
due to the pulse width. With a very fast RT, the limit is the
bandwidth of the following amp. and the resolution of the ADC, for the
digital "side".

* this, as others have pointed out, assumes no spurious reflections,
flat, correctly oriented plate, etc.

".. not without some nontrivial
regularization assumptions."

Huh? Resolution only need exceed the acceleration limited by the force and mass to the degree of accuracy desired.

the page below describes a novel way of increasing the accuracy limited by the frequency of the wave train.

http://216.239.33.104/search?q=cache:_hZoOHgFPnEJ:miyaweba.elec.ryukoku.ac.jp/miyashita/papers/jjap98y.pdf+acoustic+range+finder+vernier&hl=en&ie=UTF-8
<http://216.239.33.104/search?q=cache:_hZoOHgFPnEJ:miyaweba.elec.ryukoku.ac.jp/miyashita/papers/jjap98y.pdf+acoustic+range+finder+vernier&hl=en&ie=UTF-8>

bc, who must be missing something

Ludwik Kowalski wrote:

We will start using the motion detectors next week. Then
I will investigate the "noise." As I remember, the plot is
a practically noiseless horizontal line when the detector
faces a wall.

Now suppose the "wall" starts moving slowly toward me.
I suspect that the display will be a stepwise function of x
versus t. The ADC (analog-to-digital convertor) has only
7 bits (?) and this is likely to produce steps. The 9-bits
ADC should display 4 times smaller steps. Ideally the ADC
error should be much smaller than fluctuations on the
analog side. Does anybody know how accurate are
distance measurements on the analog side? What can
be done to reduce them?
Ludwik Kowalski

On Wednesday, September 17, Gary Hemminger wrote:

"You cannot reliably infer the acceleration from samples
of the x and t coordinates, not without some nontrivial
regularization assumptions."

We are using old Vernier software and motion detectors for Workshop
Physics labs in which we generate d, v, and a vs. t graphs. The a vs t
graphs are always noisy, and generally look like the edge of a
carpenter's saw. I'm not familiar with the latest software and
equipment, and wonder if cleaner graphs are now possible.

Despite the difficulties mentioned in the thread above, I expect that
the main issue here is coming from the propagation of error. If the
motion detector takes say 30 readings per second, then I assume that it
calculates 30 average velocities per second, and uses Ludwik's method
to find 30 average accelerations per second. I find that the noise
varies
from one machine to another in my room despite similar setups and
conditions.