Re: corrupted email

On 09/05/2003 02:17 PM, Dan Crowe wrote:
> I just sent two copies of a message to this list,
> and both times, extra characters were inserted.

You are not the first person to have this problem.

It probably has to do with interactions between your
MUA (mail user agent, on your desktop) and your MTA
(mail transfer agent, at your local provider).

Typically, the problem is that Monoposoft Exchange
encodes things incorrectly. And then it's too dumb
to decode its own encoding.

Suggestions:

1) Your MUA should have option called "quoted printable"
and you want to turn it off.

2) Having done that, you may need to wrap long lines
to keep them below 70 characters each. Doing this by
hand is revolting; you'd think a 1GHz computer would be
smart enough to do this all by itself.....

3) Get some decent software. Decent mail software is
available from many sources, for free or nearly-free.
Many people like Eudora; the "light" version was still
free the last time I looked.

In particular, decent software will not apply the
quoted-printable transformation to text that was
printable to begin with. For more on this, see
http://www.cs.utk.edu/~moore/mime-style.html