Re: statistical fluctuations

At 07:48 AM 9/5/2003 -0700, you wrote:
The CR-39 detectors of alpha particles are also
suitable for noncontroversial student projects, for
example, a study of distribution of radon///
The detector, called CR-39; is a sheet of transparent
plastic. Alpha particles, for example, from radon, create
latent tracks which can be made visible (through a
microscope) by developing pieces of CR-39 in hot
KOH. These detectors are commercially available
from several suppliers. One place to obtain them is:

Track Analysis Systems Ltd

/// For example: pieces 25x25 mm, with an
engraved (incrementing) number, cost 1.75 US
dollars each. ///For the US, we have a
minimum order quantity of 100 US dollars.

Pity about that minimum order value - $100 is just over
my tolerance for hobby projects - but I would be glad to
split with a few other prospective customers.

My interest would be to check the sensitivity of this
material to ion impact somewhat analogous to alpha
particles: could the material really detect ions at
around 12 eV of the kind found in an electrolytic cell,
as well as the 5.5MeV emissions of Americium?

Brian Whatcott Altus OK Eureka!