Re: Physics lab and lecture grade

Hi,
At the University of Arizona, our first and
second year labs are run both ways. The courses
for Engineers and the Courses for Physics majors
have integral labs. Several Genral Education
classes that we offer also have an integral lab.

We have two lecture sequences that feed our
general physics labs, Both sequences are for two
semesters to cover all of physics, but one uses
calculus and the other does not. In the labs the
TA's must deal with a huge range of preparation
and skill. This is made worse because the
pre-meds take freshman level physics and labs as
seniors after three or four years of chem, bilogy
and bio-chem labs.

A second reason why the lab is diconnected from
the lecture is that many students do no need to
take a physics lab. This reduces their required
total number of credits by 1 or 2. In Arizona we
are under a great deal of pressure to reduce the
number of credits needed to graduate so the
students can easily graduate in four years.

Thanks
Roger Haar

Hello all:

In my department we are debating our grading system in physics. Currently, students enroll in a 4-credit intro physics course and receive one grade that integrates lecture and lab performance (25% lab; 75% lecture). In our physical science courses, students enroll in a lecture section (PHSC 1013) and an independent lab section (PHSC 1021). They receive a grade for lecture and a separate grade for lab. We would like to standardize our grading system.

I will appreciate any information about how grading is done in your physics departments and the rationale behind it. If you feel strongly one way or the other, even though your university does not assign grades that way, your contribution is also appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Wilson J. Gonzalez-Espada, Ph.D.
Asst Professor of Physical Science/Science Education
School of Physical and Life Sciences
Arkansas Tech University
1701 N. Boulder Ave. (McEver Hall)
Russellville, AR 72801