Re: Physics lab and lecture grade

We too integrate the lab and lecture.

Advantages for lecture/lab being a single course:
Better integration of lecture and lab
Better timeliness in discussing students' questions.
Can use lab time to give homework hints, etc. for the lecture
Can use lecture time to discuss labs.

Additionally: you have more flexibility in how the grade is apportioned
between the lab and the lecture. I prefer the lab to not count 25% of 4
credit grade. When its integrated I don't have to do it that way.

Advantages for separate lecture and lab courses:
Students who pass the lab but fail lecture can
re-take just the
lecture.

We allow this mechanism even with the integrated appoach; so IMO its a false
advantage.

Transfer students who took the lecture but not the
lab can take just
the lab.
Easier bookkeeping when there are multiple instructors for the
lecture/labs.

Joel R