Re: Missing term

Yes, it took about the same time for me to learn that taunt and taut
were not homophones, and I still sometimes pronounce accelerate,
axe-sill-er-ate.

Regarding freezing, I think one should differentiate between the
increase in viscosity when glasses are cooled and other liquids
crystallize. Glasses are still liquids when called solids because they
still flow and there is not a demarcation in their properties. i.e.
their viscosity smoothly increases on cooling and there is no "heat" of
fusion. "Heat" must be "extracted", of course, for this viscosity
increase to occur, but there is no "discontinuity". There are other
differences, e.g. how they fracture.

bc

Dan Crowe wrote:

You learn something new every day. I've had the definition of "fusio=
n" backwards for over 25 years, and this is the first time anyone has=
corrected me. I checked all the textbooks I have that discuss heat =

cut

Another term that could be used for "solidification" is "crystallizat=
ion". Is there any reason to prefer one over the other? Is "freezin=
g" preferable to both?

(And I still prefer "desublimation" to "deposition".)

Daniel Crowe
Oklahoma School of Science and Mathematics
Ardmore Regional Center
dcrowe@sotc.org