From: Seth Miller
Sent: Saturday, August 23, 2003 10:23 PM
Subject: Getting hydrogen from water using sunlight

Hello all,

I have a question I hope some of you knowledgeable folks can
help me out with. To the point: is there any way that one
can use sunlight to get hydrogen and oxygen gas out of water
with a parabolic mirror? This is a high-school senior's
proposed 7-month project. From the scant online research I
have done, it seems he would need some indium-tantalum oxide
semiconductor material doped with nickel
[http://www.trnmag.com/Stories/2002/010902/Sunlight_turns_wate
r_to_fuel_
010902.html]
in order to do it, and then I have no idea what the process would be and how
much light is needed. In any case, any practical advice on the feasibility
of this project would be appreciated, I have to meet with him next week to
give him some feedback. He has access to a machine shop and very likely has
the ability to build a good mirror, but as for the rest...