Re: email worm outbreak

I am having tremendous e-mail problems. Some e-mails I send don't seem
to get received by anyone. Some e-mails from you all that are showing
up in PHYS-L archives are e-mails I never got. I am getting e-mails out
of order (sometimes getting a response to a question before I receive
the original question).

My network administrator attributes this to antivirus/antiworm
activities over the past few days. Here at Bluffton College we have
done significant updating of our firewall, and I am aware of other local
schools and businesses updating their firewalls. I bet the institutions
of many PHYS-L members have also altered or updated their firewalls in
the past few days. At my wife's school they cannot do anything other
than internal e-mail. That's not because external e-mail is
intentionally shut off... it's because external e-mail simply is not
working.

Until this sorts out, I believe we can see all sorts of problems with
e-mail. Some of the problems will be related to infections themselves,
but others will be related to the changed firewall at the sender's
institution and some will be related to the changed firewall at the
receiver's institution.

I sent several messages to PHYS-L yesterday that have yet to appear in
the archive. As I try to sort that out, please bear with me and don't
get upset if you get things twice or out of order. I have no idea if my
e-mail server has lost things or if some things are still queued and
they will suddenly be sent out at some later time.

Michael D. Edmiston, Ph.D.
Professor of Physics and Chemistry
Chair of Sciences
Bluffton College