Re: power-grid physics

At 9:54 PM -0400 8/20/03, Hugh Haskell wrote:
If my memory is correct, and phase-locking in this admittedly small
system was important, why isn't it important in the large scale power
grid?

Hugh
--

A grad school buddy of mine moonlighted at the local electric utility
and had many tales to tell.

As far as 'phase-locking' went, if all loads and generators are
supplying EXACTLY what is required at that moment - THEN the
generators will be in phase.

As the load shifts - so shifts the phase of the two generating plants.

The phase shift determines which generator is selling power to the
other and which is buying. i.e. a phase shift creates a power shift
in the grid.

Does this make sense??

He also described the 'small' local generating station going
'off-grid' at a particular time during the night so that the
generator speed could be adjusted to guarantee exactly 60 Hz averaged
over the entire day. (they counted cycles!)

He also had some of the absolutely BEST practical jokes, as a kid,
directed against the phone company. He now works for AT&T.
--
I never teach my pupils; I only attempt to provide the conditions in
which they can learn.