Re: power-grid physics

At 02:37 PM 8/20/2003 -0500, you wrote:
Maybe we need a tutorial for those of us somewhat AC-impaired. Let me
propose this simplified scenario and see if anyone on the list knows how
this works in reality.

Power is off. Two generating plants, each with a max output of 1000
Watts--generators at 100 Volts. One transmission line at 1000 volts. A
load (still switched on) of 1600 Watts--say two factories each wanting 800
Watts at 100 volts.

OK--how do you turn the power back on? How does the phase get synchronized?
What, if any, role do the transformers play in this scenario?

??Rick

Richard W. Tarara
Professor of Physics
Saint Mary's College
Notre Dame, Indiana
rtarara@saintmarys.edu

Treating this as a hypothetical puzzle - which I suppose it really is
if I mention there is no relation to reality:
I spin up generator 1 to 60 Hz, at 70 volts, at which point the
load is drawing 70^2 / 100/16 watts. That's 784 watts.
Then as soon as possible, I spin up the second, and when it
self-synchronizes, it then lifts network volts slowly so as not
to exceed 1000 watts at either source.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK Eureka!