X ray microscopy (was camera obscura)

Does somebody understand how a parallel beam of
X-rays is focused by a structure similar to that described
on the web page provided by Bernard? If so then I would
welcome an explanation.

"Multilayer" for light usually refers to layers of materials
whose index of refraction is different. But for X-rays n is
practically one in any material. How can extremely small
differences in n (like 0.001 or less ?) be used to focus?
Perhaps the term "multilayer" means something else
in this context.
Ludwik Kowalski