Re: Sink or swim?

On 08/09/2003 02:16 PM, Tucker Hiatt wrote:
Perhaps time dilation also plays a role in this relativistic buoyancy
(!) problem.

Yes, it does.

The buoyant force of the water on the sub depends partially on the
collision rate of the water molecules with the sub's hull, doesn't
it?

That's true as stated, although I'm not sure
that's the easiest way to analyze the issue.

Instead I would recommend thinking in terms
of momentum whenever possible. If it becomes
necessary to think in terms of force, be
careful to decide whether you mean d(p)/d(t)
or d(p)/d(tau).

Therefore, wouldn't time dilation (alone) argue for a *decrease* in
buoyant force?

Right. So to first order that cancels the
effect of the density change, when the fluid
is analyzed in the submarine's frame.

> to say nothing of Bernoulli effects

There shouldn't be any Bernoulli effects.
Buoancy has to do with hydrostatic pressure,
which is not affected by the motion of the
fluid. The altimeter on an airplane infers
the altitude from the static pressure, which
is independent of airspeed. For details see
http://www.av8n.com/how/htm/airfoils.html#sec-static-stagnation

To help clarify the issues, it may be helpful
to consider a stream of cars driving through
an underwater tube. If the weight of the cars
is just right, the cars+tube system is neutrally
buoyant.