Re: Burning question garbling.

In my response to the Re: =20 thread, I did not include another bad
situation I am aware of. Mark Shapiro identified this as a web-based
Outlook problem. I think that is mostly correct, but it may be more
correctly identified as a Web-based Microsoft Exchange problem.

If you are operating under a Microsoft e-mail system in which the
Microsoft Exchange protocol is enabled, you can access your e-mail
through Internet Explorer without haveing to set up anything on the
computer you are using. That is one of the big reasons Bluffton College
adopted the Exchange protocol. When our faculty are on the road, they
can access their e-mail from any web browser. They can stop an any
library or internet cafe that provides web browsing, and they can tend
to their e-mail by providing the URL of our Exchange server and then
providing a username and password. Another good aspect of this is that
when they return to campus, everything they did on the road (sent
messages, read messages, deleted messages, moved messages) all show up
correctly. That is, the "e-mail trail" created by on-the-road web-based
Exchange access looks the same as if they had done everything from their
office. The price paid for this is that some list servers (PHYS-L is
one of them) just don't get along with Microsoft Exchange. Hence
messages sent to PHYS-L via an Internet-Explorer/Exhange mail client
will come out garbled as we just witnessed.

Michael D. Edmiston, Ph.D.
Professor of Physics and Chemistry
Chair of Sciences
Bluffton College