Re: =20

I can't say I understand all the problems, but I understand one big
class of problems.

The =20 problem occurs when the sender is sending messages using
"quoted-printable" format. Some list servers can handle this, and some
cannot. The PHYS-L list server cannot handle quoted-printable format
and it inserts =20 at places where the sender's e-mail server was
intending to have a carriage-return/line-feed. PHYS-L also garbles a
few other aspects of messages it receives in quoted-printable format,
but the =20 is the most obvious thing people see, along with uneven line
lengths.

There would be two solutions to this problem... (1) Upgrade PHYS-L to
handle quoted-printable format. (2) Make sure that no PHYS-L members
send messages in quoted-printable format.

I do not know what can be done toward (1), but I know some people don't
have any control over (2). Anyone who is required to use Microsoft
Outlook, and also use it with the Microsoft Exchange protocol, cannot
turn quoted-printable off. It simply is not an option that Microsoft
gives you if you are using Outlook and Exchange, presumably because some
of the features of Exchange require the quoted-printable format. On the
other hand, it seems that Outlook using POP3 protocol or IMAP protocol
does have the option to stifle quoted printable.

At my office computer, I must use Outlook and Exchange because that is
the college-wide system and it has been declared "illegal" for us to use
anything else.

At home I can use what I want, even if I am tapping into my college
e-mail account. At home I am using Outlook Express communicating with
the college e-mail server using IMAP rather than Exchange. This
combination allows me to turn off quoted-printable format, and it
therefore works fine with PHYS-L. Therefore, you will know whether I
have sent a message from my college office or my home office. Messages
sent from my college office will have the =20. The only thing I can do
about this is try to set up Outlook Express or Eudora or something else
in my office. Doing so could get me in trouble with a few
administrators. Generally I am up to the fight, but right now there are
some administrators who are... uh... shall we say not worth fighting
with.

Like I said in the beginning, I don't know of all the cases that cause
the quoted-printable problem. However, if you are experiencing this
problem and you are using the Outlook/Exchange combination, there is
nothing you can do to fix it. If you are experiencing this problem and
you are not using Outlook/Exchange, perhaps there is an option for you
to turn-off the quoted-printable format. If so, exercise that option
and it might fix the problem.

Michael D. Edmiston, Ph.D.
Professor of Physics and Chemistry
Chair of Sciences