Re: Y chromosome, dropped magnet, S pole in Canada

On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 15:15:26 -0600 Larry Smith <larry.smith@SNOW.EDU>
writes:
At 9:10 AM -0500 7/6/03, John Clement wrote:
Looking at the World Book encyclopedia, that terminology is not
used at all. It actually has a number of good observations but the
first
sentence is extremely bad. "Magnetism is a force that acts
between certain objects called magnets."

1. Why is it bad?

*** The statement is bad for several reasons.
In my World Book Encyclopedia there is a picture of a hand holding
a chunk of lodestone with a few metal paper clips hanging from
the bottom of the rock. This certainly does not apply to a
"force that acts between certain objects called magnets". There is
only ONE magnet in the illustration.

2. How would you have worded it?

*** It would have been better to say, "Magnetism is a force
associated with magnets and magnetic materials".

Thanks, Larry

*** I hope that my contribution was helpful.
*** Herb

Herb Gottlieb from New York City
A nice friendly place to visit