Re: Teaching Magnetism

Howdy-

Ludwik Kowalski <kowalskil@mail.montclair.edu> wrote:

The problem of renaming physics words has been
addressed here many times.

I am not advocating renaming physics concepts. Instead I think that I am
helping students understand the name to avoid confusion with what they
already know. It costs little in time and enhances understanding. What's
to lose?

John Clement <clement@hal-pc.org> wrote:

At what level is this done?

Eleventh graders. Getting older doesn't seem to get rid of misconceptions;
rather, it makes them harder to dismiss as students realize that, in
general, they know more. Elementary students are ready to learn. Middle
school students know that adults know more than they do. High school
students know that they know it all.

Marc "Zeke" Kossover
The Hockaday School