Re: Season misconceptions in newspaper

At 3:06 PM -0500 6/21/03, John Clement wrote:

I have an interesting tag that I stole from a lamp in a store. It
claims that an expensive lamp which uses a 60 W halogen bulb is more
efficient and saves money over a conventional 60 W bulb. I compared the
rated lumens and wattage with a conventional light bulb and found they
were comparable. Hmmm I have asked students whether the claim was
true.

I haven't shopped for the halogens, but sometimes the flourescents seem to
be labeled as a 60 W bulb when what they mean is that they put out the same
light as a 60 W incandescent (but in reality is only 15 W). I doubt this
is the issue in your case, however.

Larry