-----Original Message-----
From: Gary Turner [mailto:turner@MORNINGSIDE.EDU]
Sent: Thursday, July 03, 2003 3:23 PM

On Wed, 2 Jul 2003 14:00:16 -0700, Bernard Cleyet
<anngeorg@PACBELL.NET>
wrote:

[snipped section on discussion of forces on a current ring in
a magnetic field. A comment was made about the energy not
changing in a uniform field so there can be no unbalanced
force - see "comprehending electric/magnetic interactions"]

OK -- I had a serious Sr. moment: Since the potential is
constant the
gradient is zero. Is this above the level of Turner's class?

Sounds about the right level to me. We do discuss the link
between forces and potentials in electric and gravity fields.
I haven't previously introduced the potential of a magnetic
field specifically, b/c we usually cover magnetic fields in
passing and electromagnetism at the end of the semester when
time gets more desperate. Seems obvious now, perhaps I
should introduce this in Gen Phys.

Hmmm, any comments?

The reason I struggle with this material is because all of my
E&M has been very problem-oriented with the tough math
stressed. I've never taken a course where we worked on the
concepts in E&M quite the same way we work on concepts in Gen
Phys. I would like to give students a chance to develop these
concepts. Is Gen Phys the right place?