Re: A mixture of time dilations and constrictions

Ken Caviness wrote:

Stephen's answer below really is the best one to the questions in this
thread. I second his high recommendation of Taylor and Wheeler's
"Spacetime Physics". I read it and worked through the problems in the
first edition when I was a senior in high school, the math is not at all
onerous. It's worth the expense and time spent to study this book, which I
believe is now in the second edition.

But since I've already said a few words about the "complex analysis" of
Pentcho's latest question, let me add one more thing:

It's not hard to apply the Lorentz transformations and find the speed of
the tip of the clock arm in any inertial observer's reference frame. But
that doesn't say anything about the nature of time in the different
reference frames, nor identify time dilations nor indicate "time
constrictions" at all. It was precisely to separate out the behavior of a
moving object (the tip of the clock arm) from the actual passage of time
that I introduced the minute and second hands (and in principle, as many
more as we want). But the same effect is achieved by achieved by using a
simpler clock, such as the light-clock I mentioned. In any case, the main
misunderstanding is dealing with the tip of the clock arm without taking
into consideration that it is an accelerated object even in the clock's
rest frame, adding up the speeds without even using the Lorentz velocity
transformations (!), and then expecting to get meaningful insights about
time. One doesn't.

Over and out,

Ken

The problem has remained - it is easy and I suggest giving it to your students
- some of them may be interested. Its general version is:

Consider two consecutive positions of a moving material point - e.g. the tip of
a clock's hand. The first position is Event 1 and coincides with the origin
(x=x'=t=t'=0). The second position is Event 2 and is characterized by x, x',
t>0, t'>0. By using Lorentz transform, compare t and t' for movements with
various speeds and directions.

Pentcho