Re: when to write radians

If we follow the suggestion of writing radians as (meters of arc)/(meters of
radius) then omega becomes ((meters of arc)/(meters of radius)) / (second).
When you multiply by r ( meters of radius) you end up with (meters or arc)
/(second) for the units of the linear velocity, which can be abbreviated as
m/s.

Karim Diff

===== Original Message From Forum for Physics Educators
<PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu> =====
I would argue that beginning students should be made
to understand that an operational definition of a
radian is not truly dimensionless, but literally
(meters of arc)/(meters of radius). Mathematically
dimensionless, but not operationally. The
"dimensionless" shorthand can all too easily obscure
the physical meaning of a radian.

You make an excellent point. We want students to
understand the mathematical angle and the operational
angle. However, how do you make the radians disappear
when using v = r*(omega) when calculating linear
velocity from angular velocity and radius?